Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mighty Molding Time

I finally found a cool handle that I can use for multiple Rayguns! So since I had a trial size of Oomoo 25 and Smoothcast 300 I decided to make a few of them so I didn't have to spend 5 bucks every time I needed a new one.


I ventured out today and got this very very very crappy hacksaw from Harbor Freight for about 4 bucks. Underneath all that rubber is a handle that looks pretty great. I CAN FEEL IT!

IMAG0508.jpg

After some minor surgery I had this nice shiny handle. Actually looks pretty cool with the grooves and stuff.

IMAG0503

I got the idea to use foam core from Volpin's blog to keep all the precious goo in while it hardened. Once again if you haven't seen his stuff it is very good. (Volpin Props)

IMAG0502

I glued the end of the handle to the bottom for support when pouring the Oomoo 25 in there and glued around the outside of the foam core to prevent leaks.

IMAG0505

After it cured I pulled off the foam core sides and mixed up some Smoothcast for my first pull. Very excited! Notice that I used one of my Rockband drumsticks to stir. I broke the other one by being too awesome at drums. Just sayin.

IMAG0507

As you can see the first one didn't turn out so great. There were all sorts of bubbles. And while I could paint those bubbled areas (and probably will) to look like rusted pit holes or something, I wanted to see how good of a pull I could make. The second one on the right was much better. Still a couple bubbles but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Keep in mind here too folks that this is the first mold I've ever made and subsequently the first pull. So if you see anything I messed up on or have any pointers feel free to leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment